- Monitor the hive entrance for build up of dead bees and blockage.
- Check regularly for any damage or wind / weather getting in.
- Ensure the roof is secure; bricks, blocks and/or a strap will do the job.
- In January, when the weather is cold, but not below freezing, treat your hives with oxalic acid solution to control varroa. Record the varroa drop in the following two weeks so that you know how badly your colonies are infested.
- Gently heft (lift) the hive to check food weight. If light put a block of fondant over the crown board feedhole, and check regularly to see if it is being consumed.
- Plan what you want to do in your apiary in the coming year.